Dr Nan Gao is a Postdoc Researcher at Tsinghua University, China.
Currently, I am a Shuimu Scholar postdoc researcher at Pervasive HCI Lab of Tsinghua University, working with A/Prof Chun Yu. I am also a Visiting Fellow at the University of New South Wales (UNSW), Australia. I am interested in ubiquitous computing, mobile sensing, and human-computer interaction (HCI). In particular, my research specializes in utilising unobtrusive sensing data to infer human behaviours and mental states (e.g., personality, emotion, learning engagement), to help improve self-awareness and promote human well-being.
I completed my PhD in Computer Science at RMIT University in 2022, under the supervision of Prof Flora Salim, Dr Wei Shao and Dr Mohammad Saiedur Rahaman. I obtained my Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees from the Beijing Institute of Technology (BIT) in 2016 and 2018. I have published my research in top venues (e.g., PACM IMWUT/ UbiComp, Nature Scientific Data), released public datasets In-Gauge and En-Gage, and won the IMWUT Distinguished Paper Award in Ubicomp 2021.
- [Aug 2023] Great news! I was awarded a grant (￥300k) from the Young Scientists Fund of the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Principal Investigator, Grant No. 62302252, 国家自然科学基金青年科学基金).
- [June 2023] I got the HDR Computing Technologies Prize, awarded by RMIT University STEM College.
- [June 2023] I was newly awarded a grant (￥80k) by China Postdoctoral Science Foundation (Principal Investigator, Grant No. 2023M731949, 中国博士后科学基金第73批面上资助).
- [March 2023] I serve as the TPC member of BuildSys 2023.
- [March 2023] I serve as the Guest Editor of the Frontiers in Sustainable Cities for the special issue: Trends and Challenges of Ubiquitous Computing in Smart Cities.
- [Feb 2023] I serve as the Publicity Chair at AIoTSys 2023 (Oct 19-23, 2023).
- [Dec 2022] Great news! I was selected into the Shuimu Tsinghua Scholar Program (水木学者).
- [Oct 2022] I serve as the Program Committee Member of IEEE Percom EmotionAware workshop (March 13-17, 2023).
- [Sep 2022] Great news! I got the DAAD AInet Fellowship.
- [Aug 2022] Our paper was accepted by IMWUT and will be presented at Ubicomp 2022.
- [Aug 2022] A BIG DAY! I officially received my PhD and my thesis was publically available. (Download).
Click for more news
- [Aug 2022] I gave an invited talk at Access Computing Summer Program (ACSP).
- [June 2022] I gave an invited talk at AIR, Tsinghua University.
- [May 2022] I was invited to give a guest lecture at RMIT University.
- [April 2022] Our data descriptor has been accepted by Nature Scientific Data!
- [Jan 2022] I was elected to the Execute member of the CCF Technical Committee of Human-Computer Interaction (CCF TCHCI).
- [Nov 2021] Our released dataset was included in the ASHRAE Global Occupant Behavior Database together with other open datasets from 14 countries and 32 institutions.
- [Sep 2021] I got the IMWUT Distinguished Paper Award at Ubicomp 2021 “Six that represent outstanding, exemplary contributions to our community, selected from 169 papers in vol.4” (3.55%).
- [Aug 2021] I got the winner of Three Minute Thesis (3MT) competition at the School of Computing Technologies and finally won the People’s Choice Award in the RMIT 3MT event.
- [Aug 2021] I received the SCT HDR Research Achievement Award at the School of Computing Technologies at RMIT.
- [July 2021] My position paper has been accepted by Emosense 2021 (Workshop in Ubicomp/ISWC).
- [June 2021] My GAN survey paper has been accepted by TIST.
- [May 2021] I have published the In-Gauge and En-Gage dataset on Figshare and Github!!!
- [Feb 2021] Great news! My paper was accepted by Building and Environment!
- [Nov 2020] I got the People’s Choice Award on CIDDA Research Day (CRdD’20).
- [Sep 2020] My video got the best presentation in session 1C and was selected as a finalist for the best talk award in Ubicomp 2020.
- [April 2020] I gave a talk at IEA Annex 79 Expert Meeting.
- [April 2020] I gave a talk at the 5th International Symposium on Occupant Behaviour.
- Up to August 2019, there are more than 145 news pieces for my research. Some highlights include coverage in The New Daily, Newsweek, ZDNet, Herald Sun, Neuroscience News, Australian Research Council and ABC radio.
- [August 2019] My research was selected as Five top stories: putting the spotlights in Science in RMIT.
- [July 2019] I was interviewed by RMIT University, ‘Scientists use phone movement to predict personality types’. (Media Report)
- [June 2019] I was interviewed by Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) News. (Media Report)
- [May 2019] Our group won the Winner of the Linfox Fuel Hackathon. (Media Report)
- Gao, N., Marschall, M., Burry J., Watkins S., Salim F. (2021): In-Gauge and En-Gage Datasets. RMIT University. Dataset. Download from Figshare, Github, Dataset Descriptor
- Heinisch, J.S., Gao, N. (Co-first authors), Anderson, C., Deldari, S., David, K., Salim, F.D., Investigating the Effects of Mood & Usage Behaviour on Notification Response Time. ArXiv Preprint.
- 陶建华, 龚江涛, 高楠, 傅四维, 梁山, & 喻纯. (2023). 面向虚实融合的人机交互. 中国图象图形学报, 28(6), 1513-1542. PDF
- Gao, N., Rahaman, M. S., Shao, W., Ji, K., & Salim, F. D. (2022) Individual and Group-wise Classroom Seating Experience: Effects on Student Engagement in Different Courses. Proceedings of the ACM on Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies. 6(3), 1–23. [Rank A*, CCF A] PDF
- Dong, B., Liu, Y., Mu, W. et al. A Global Building Occupant Behavior Database. Nature Scientific Data 9, 369 (2022). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41597-022-01475-3 [SJR Q1, IF = 8.501] PDF
- Gao, N., Marschall, M., Burry, J., Watkins, S., & Salim, F. D. Understanding Occupants’ Behaviour, Engagement, Emotion, and Comfort Indoors with Heterogeneous Sensors and Wearables. Scientific Data (Nature) 9, 261 (2022). [SJR Q1, IF = 8.501] PDF
- Gao, N., Xue, H., Shao, W., Zhao, S., Qin, K. K., Prabowo, A., … Salim, F. D. (2022). Generative Adversarial Networks for Spatio-temporal Data: A Survey. ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology,13, 2, Article 22 (April 2022). [SJR Q1, IF = 10.489] PDF
- Gao, N., Rahaman, M. S., Shao, W., & Salim, F. D. (2021). Investigating the Reliability of Self-report Data in the Wild: The Quest for Ground Truth. In Adjunct Proceedings of the 2021 ACM International Joint Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing and Proceedings of the 2021 ACM International Symposium on Wearable Computers (UbiComp ’21), 237–242. [Workshop] PDF
- Gao, N., Shao, W., Rahaman, M. S., Zhai, J., David, K., & Salim, F. D. (2021). Transfer Learning for Thermal Comfort Prediction in Multiple Cities. Building and Environment, 195, 107725. [SJR Q1, IF = 7.093] PDF
- Gao, N., Shao, W., Rahaman, M. S., & Salim, F. D. (2020). n-Gage: Predicting in-class Emotional, Behavioural and Cognitive Engagement in the Wild. Proceedings of the ACM on Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies, 4(3), 1–26. [Rank A*, CCF A, Distinguished Paper Award] Presentation, Teaser Video, PDF
- Kjærgaard, M. B., Ardakanian, O., Carlucci, S., Dong, B., Firth, S. K., Gao, N., … Salim, F. D. (2020). Current Practices and Infrastructure for Open Data based Research on Occupant-centric Design and Operation of Buildings. Building and Environment, 177, 106848. [SJR Q1, IF = 7.093] PDF
- Li, D., Wang, S., Gao, N., He, Q., & Yang, Y. (2019). Cutting the Unnecessary Long Tail: Cost-Effective Big Data Clustering in the Cloud. IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing, 1–1. [SJR Q1, IF = 5.679] PDF
- Gao, N., Shao, W., & Salim, F. D. (2019). Predicting Personality Traits From Physical Activity Intensity. Computer, 52(7), 47–56. [SJR Q1, IF = 4.419] PDF
- Li, D., Ye, D., Gao, N., & Wang, S. (2019). Service Selection With QoS Correlations in Distributed Service-Based Systems. IEEE Access, 7, 88718–88732. [SJR Q1, IF = 3.476] PDF
For more details, please check my Google Scholar and ResearchGate.
- 2023 HDR Computing Technologies Prize, STEM College, RMIT
- 2022 Tsinghua Shuimu Scholar (Postdoc Fellowship)
- 2022 DAAD AInet Fellowship
- 2022 Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Self-financed Students Abroad
- 2021 IMWUT Distinguished Paper Award, Ubicomp
- 2021 People’s Choice Award, Three Minute Thesis competition, RMIT
- 2021 Winner of Three Minute Thesis competition, School of Computing Technologies, RMIT
- 2020 SCT HDR Research Achievement Award, School of Computing Technologies, RMIT
- 2020 People’s Choice Award in CIDDA Research Day (CRdD’20), RMIT
- 2020 Best Presentation in Session 1C and the finalist of best talk award in Ubicomp 2020
- 2019 Winner of Linfox Fuel Hackathon (Media Report), 5000 AUD Award
- 2018 Stipend and Tuition Fee Scholarship of RMIT
- 2015 Future Stars of Software Scholarship of BIT
- 2014 Edifier Scholarship of BIT University
- 2014 Gold Medal, International Genetically Engineered Machine Competition, Boston, USA
- 2013 Outstanding Student Cadres Award of BIT
- 2023 Semester 1: Tutor, Mind, Individual and Culture (10700073), Tsinghua University
- 2021 Semester 2: Tutor, Foundations of Artificial Intelligence (COSC 2960), CSIT@RMIT
- 2021 Semester 1: Tutor, Advanced Programming Techniques (COSC1076), CSIT@RMIT
- 2020 Semester 1: Tutor, User-Centred Design (COSC2628), CSIT@RMIT
- 2023. Keynote report (of Chinese side) at China-Japan-ROK Youth International Seminar (organised by Chinese Society of Astronautics, Northwestern Polytechnical University, “Belt and Road” Space Innovation Alliance, China Academy of Launch Vehicle Technology). April 23.
- 2022. Invited talk at Access Computing Summer Program (ACSP, a program sponsored by Global Innovation Exchange (GIX) by the University of Washington and Tsinghua University). August 10.
- 2022. “Human psychological data acquisition, perception and modelling in real-world scenarios”. Invited talk at Institute for AI Industry Research, Tsinghua University, China. June 16.
- 2022. “Suggestions for fresh PhD candidates”. Invited talk at the School of Computer Science, Northwestern Polytechnical University (NWPU), China. June 3.
- 2022. “Human behaviour sensing and modelling in the wild”. Guest lecture at Practical Data Science Course, RMIT University, Australia. May 19.
- 2022. “Insights about undertaking a research program to new candidates”, Invited panel speaker at the High Degree Research (HDR) orientation, RMIT University, Australia. April 6.
- Academic Services
- Technical Program Committee: BuildSys ’23, ICT-CEEEL ’23, Percom EmotionAware Workshop ’24, 23
- Guest Editor: Frontiers in Sustainable Cities
- Academy Services:
- Executive member of the CCF Technical Committee of Human-Computer Interaction
- Student expert member of the IEA EBC Annex 79
- ADDA AInet fellow
- Member of the CSIG Technical Committee on Human-Computer Interaction
- Publicity Chair: AIoTSys 2023
- Session Chair: Ubicomp 2022
- Conference: CHI ’23, HHME ’23, UbiComp ’23, 22, 21, 19, Percom ’22, NeurIPS ’22, BuildSys ’21
- Journal: IMWUT, IJHCS, Computers & Education, Building and Environment, Nature Scientific Report, Pervasive and Mobile Computing (PMC), ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology (TIST), Energy and Building, Applied Energy, Neurocomputing, Expert Systems With Applications, etc.
- Administrative Service
- The representative of Higher Degree Research (HDR) students in the ARC Centre of Excellence for Automated Decision-Making and Society (ADM+S) Research Training and Development Committee
- Member of the CCF Science Popularization Working Committee
- Reading: I enjoy reading books from different areas, including but not limited to psychology, physiology, philosophy, anthropology, sociology, ethics, and science fiction.
- Backpacking: I was the leader and organiser of the largest outdoor club Fengxinzi at BIT.
- Writing: I love writing popular science articles, although I often can’t help but mix some chicken soup for the soul :/
- Believed Quotes: know thyself (know yourself). The saying was one of the Delphic maxims and was inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi.
Location: Room 3-526, FIT Building, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
There is an old saying in China, ‘To Have Friends Come from Afar—Isn’t That a Joy?’ (有朋自远方来，不亦乐乎) If you are interested, we can arrange a meeting to chat casually. I’m ALWAYS open to potential collaboration.